Wednesday, October 1, 2008

"We've had quite enough recklessness already this century"

Interesting, thoughtful review of a few issues that I think bear considering. 12 minutes.



Let's stop being binary:
The first 1:45 is an expression of something I've long felt - that we as a country have become far too binary - someone is great or abysmal. (This commentator had simply written that Palin did "great" in her Charles Gibson interview, and got flooded with angry emails.)

Palin's experience: The next 7:45 considers the suggestion that her experience is normal for VPs. I think the commentator twists Palin's words a little but the review he presents is worth considering. In his view, relevant experience would be (1) significant experience focusing on federal issues, or (2) significant executive experience, typically being governor for a significant time.

The 20% issue: 20% of all VPs (9/46) have acceded to the Presidency. Since McCain is the oldest candidate ever and he has health challenges, the odds of his VP taking over can't be less than that 20%.

I'm not 100% certain I agree with everything this guy says, but I like that he seems thoughtful, seems to consider things.

I chose his closing line for the title of this post: "We've had quite enough recklessness already this century."

No comments: